Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Narrow Boat Trip





OK, so I took two months to start writing again. But we have lots to tell so hopefully you will have fun reading. We took a train from Nottingham to Long Eaton which was only about a 20 minute ride. Then it was a taxi to the Sawley Marina. We received lots of paperwork when we checked in, a notebook with information and a folder with additional information. We were taken to “our” narrow boat timeshare for the week.
We watched a 50 minute video on the details of the boat, what it contained, how to operate it and how to operate the locks. Then we had some hands on training including tying a knot.

The boat was about 10 feet wide and 45 feet long, hence the name narrow boat.
It was fully equipped with 4 burner gas stove with oven, microwave, refrigerator, hot water,






bathroom with shower and in the bow a king size bed which was the width of the boat so we had to get in from the end.
The boat ran on diesel power with 4 batteries to provide the electric power. It is steered from the back with a tiller. Bob had the easy job and operated the boat. He had to empty the bilge each morning and turn the crank on the grease gun.
We also had to add water each day.

I operated the locks.

DAY 1 - It was a tough day and I was not feeling well. I had gotten up with a sore throat. We picked up a few items in the marina store but they didn’t have much. Then we were taken out of the marina by one of the staff. He got off the boat after we entered the canal. We were then on our own. We started down the canal, went into the river for a short way and then into the Trent and Mersey Canal.
The canal system was built in the 1700’s for transport from the country to the cities. It is operated by the British Waterways. The top speed we could travel was about 4 mph and so we began our trip. We hadn’t gone very far when we came upon the first obstacle
– our first of 12 locks (one way). We went a total of about 24 miles one way and then came back. There were 6 double locks in which two boats could go through side by side
and 6 single locks which means we went through a total of 24 locks.





The process was not complex but had a specific order in which to do each thing.
1. Bob pulls the boat close to shore so I can get off and he can wait while I check the traffic in the lock.



2. If no other boats then I check the water level. If the level is the same as our boat then I can open the gate. If not I need to let the water out (pretend we are going up). To open the paddles I use my windlass to crank them open.
Bob has to hold the boat very firmly as it tends to move easily with the water surge coming from the lock.




3. When the water levels are the same I then lean against the gate and open it for him to bring the boat into the lock. To open the second gate I have to walk across the other two gates at the other (forward) end of the lock and around to the other side.




4. I close the paddles while he is bringing in the boat and then close the gates behind him reversing the walk around order.

5. Then I use my windlass to open the paddle on the forward gates of the lock which lets the water flow into the lock so it becomes full and the same level as the new section of canal.


6. Again I just lean against the long wooden arm and when the water levels are the same the gate pushes open easily.

But I do have to walk across the water again now on the rear gates in order to open both of the gates so Bob can move the boat out of the lock.



7. When he has the boat through, he moves to the side and waits for me because I must close the gates behind us. We don’t have to change the water level but all gates are to be left closed and all paddles are to be down.
8. Then I make sure that I have my windlass and get back on board.

Whew. That accomplished we can continue traveling on the canal.

Now actually it wasn’t too hard because often there were other boaters and everyone helped. It was especially nice if you met someone coming from the opposite direction because then you didn’t have to close the gates when you left. There were a couple of difficult times and Bob did have to help me because my back just couldn’t do it but otherwise I did ok.

The first night we tied up at Shardlow

and only did the one lock for the day. We could moor anywhere along the tow path side as long as it wasn't at a lock or close to a bridge.

The tow path side is public property and there were folks walking, jogging, riding bikes and walking dogs all along it.
We ate a lovely meal at a pub in the little village. I slept almost 12 hours and got up feeling much better.

DAY 2 – We did 5 locks total and went about 10 ½ miles. We traveled from Shardlow, Weston, Swakestone, Stenson to just short of Willington and moored for the second night. We again found a great pub and then a small grocery where we picked up a couple more items. We saw many mud hens


and one was sitting on her nest. We saw a swan with 7 grey babies

lots of ducks


and other animals.


We didn’t realize how popular the narrow boats were. Many folks own their own boat and each was decorated and painted quite fancily. They all also seemed to have pots of flowers on top as well as some herbs.

DAY 3 – It was a sunny and hot day.
We had a nice long stretch with no locks from Willington to Barton-Upon-Trent. Then we had 6 single locks. At one of them we had to wait over and hour in line to go through the lock. It was busy.

It was a long day as we didn’t moor until 7pm in Alrewas. We went a total of 12 miles and this part of the canal didn’t have as much tree cover so we were in the sun. What was really neat was that the next to last lock was the one we crossed over off of the dual carriageway to go to Wychnor Park. So we were in the same area but had only driven quickly through Alrewas.

DAY 4 – We spent the day moored in Alrewas and walked around the town. We found a small butcher shop and bought a few more groceries for cooking in our kitchen. We spent the rest of the day resting, reading and playing Tic.

DAY 5 – We walked to the post office to get stamps right before leaving and heading back down the canal. We traveled all day and went through 6 locks. We moored in the countryside away from all the towns and the evening was very nice and very quiet.

DAY 6 – We didn’t leave until after 11 and it started raining in the afternoon which was not fun. We did 3 locks and the last one was in the rain. And I was not careful. We had shut the hatch to keep the rain out and I forgot as I came up and really whacked my head. Not good. We moored again in the countryside all by ourselves
and had a relaxing evening.


DAY 7 – Today was the last day on the canal. We went through the last three locks and made it to the Sawley Marina by 1 pm. They were able to bring us into the marina so we spent the last night on board the boat but in the marina itself.

We checked out by 9 am and then took a taxi to the train station where we went from Long Eaton to St Pancras International train station. We changed there to the underground but of course they were doing maintenance and we had to go on the Picadilly Line to Picadilly Circus, then the Bakerloo line to Paddington Station and then got a train to Heathrow airport of course hauling all of our luggage with us. We got a bus from Heathrow to the Marriott where we ate and went to bed. We had a 9:30 flight which turned into about 1pm as there was a maintenance problem with our plane and we had to take another one. But it all went smoothly and we were back in Nashville before 10pm.

Our almost 5 weeks in Great Britain was over and most of it was great. I am sure that we will go again and hopefully the next time we can go to Scotland and of course Ireland.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You guys are SO COOL! I love all the trips you take. You sure do know how to travel well. I'm getting some fun ideas from you.