Thursday, February 3, 2011

September 20 – December 31, 2010

When we returned back to Indiana we kept very busy. After we unpacked all of our boxes for the house I had started to sort through the boxes marked “Quilting”. I also read a book about cutting squares and having them ready to sew in between other things. So I began to sort and sort. I had to press the fabric and then I cut strips 1 ½ inch, 2 inch, 2 ½ inch and 3 ½ inch wide. It the strips were the fabric width or at least 15 or so inches long I saved them as strips. All other pieces I kept and I then cut them into squares. Now I have 4 boxes of cut squares and I can begin to make quilts from them.

I taught a class at Heritage Pointe for the folded star ornaments that my cousin Sandy taught me. It was fun to do. We went to the Pulse Opera House in Warren to see Blythe Spirit and drove to Fishers to watch the Hamilton SE Marching Band competition. The first weekend in October we stayed at Wyndham Fairfield Glade and attended the South Asia Conference which was held on the west side of Knoxville. It was wonderful to reconnect with so many of the folks we served with overseas and learn about what they are doing and how to pray for them. As we left we stopped back at Deb’s in Nashville for one night, rented a u-haul trailer and got our piano to take back to Indiana.

I started attending a Scrappy Club at the Engine House Quilt Shop in Berne which is the first Thursday of the month. Of course I can only go a few times a year but I try to when we are home. Taylor Homecoming was the second weekend of October and this was the 40th year for Coleen’s class. October 16 my cousin Sandy and her husband Frank came to visit my dad and we got to visit with them. They live in New Jersey and we don’t get to see them very often. On Monday I went with Heritage Pointe on a trip called volunteer visitation day. We visited the Warren Food Pantry, Love Inc in Huntington and the Lutheran Children’s Hospital. Items are contributed to all three of these from Heritage Pointe.

We ordered our last piece of furniture from Smith’s Furniture in Huntington and went to the townhouse/villa luncheon. Friday night October 22 we had dinner at our pastor’s and had a nice time of getting to know their family. Saturday, October 23rd found us packing again. It seems hard to believe that the month at home went by so quickly.

Sunday, October 24 we checked into Wyndham Smoky Mountains, Sevierville, TN. We attended the Celebration Conference for senior adults sponsored by Phil Waldrop Ministries. It was really a wonderful time of worship. On Thursday we checked in at Wyndham Nashville and spent until November 7 there. We were at Deb’s house much of the time. She wanted some of my patterns but I had things already cut out so I sewed three shell tops and then a quilted t-shirt jacket for her. She was working during the day so that gave me time to sew. We helped her rearrange the living room and sitting room since we had taken the piano. We were even able to get her antenna hooked up to her TV so she has more channels. Most of the time we have been in Nashville we have spent working with her but this time we took a trip to a National Park on both Saturdays.

Fort Donelson National Park is close to the Tennessee Kentucky border along the Tennessee River. Mary Lois was able to go with us both times. After watching the film in the visitor center we followed the driving tour.







Stones River National Battlefield is in Murfreesboro. We rented a tape here and drove to the sites. Then we had lunch in Murfreesboro.





We also spent one late afternoon and evening with the Sammons. We had found shirts for all of the kids and I made pillow cases for each one of the kids.



We left Nashville on November 7 after attending early church with Debby and lunch at Red Lobster. We spent one night in Little Rock and then checked into Silverleaf Villages in Flint, Texas on Monday. Tuesday our good friends from Grand Prairie came to spend one night with us, Jo & David Glazener.

It was a great time to catch up and we spent the next day with them in Tyler.

The end of the week found us at lunch with Johnny and Diana Norwood who lived in our apartment building in Chiang Mai. They now live in Longview, Texas.

We then had dinner with Greg and Betsy Martin who also live in Longview.

We traveled from Flint to Montgomery, Texas which is right north of Houston. We stayed at Sweetwater at Lake Conroe. The unit was nice but there was nothing there at all to do. The pools and hot tubs at the country club were closed. We did walk part of the mornings and we also did some more visiting.

We drove to Bryan/College Station to see Glen and Marvella Thompson who also served overseas with us.

We met Kevin and Malia Myers at a Mexican restaurant in Houston. We were really glad that we could find a time when both of them were available.


One other evening we met the Crews family for dinner in the Woodlands.

The end of the week we drove to Katy and visited with Coleen's cousin Jim Castles and his wife Mary Ellen.

Thanksgiving week we went to Phil and Susan’s in Waco.

We didn’t do anything special but just visited. It turned quite cool and Phil built a fire in the fireplace. Susan put up one of their Christmas trees.


We had a non-traditional Thanksgiving dinner since James didn’t want turkey and “all that stuff”. We had steak, twice-baked potatoes, asparagus and rolls with cheesecake for dessert.

We left Texas on November 27 and returned home Sunday November 28.
December 1st was our first snow.



We put up the Christmas tree that we bought in October


and then got another small one for the library. I worked on quilting during the month and often I found Bob "working" on the computer.


We went to some of the activities at the home during December. Saturday December 4th we awoke at 3 am to find half the house (the kitchen side) flooded with over an inch of water. A hose under the sink had come off and the hot water tank was emptied and water coming out was cold by then. What a mess! It took us over a week to get it all taken care of and I was very glad when the fans were turned off. They were so noisy. We sang in our Christmas Cantata at church and also at a nursing home in Huntington. We so enjoyed spending time with folks at church and getting to know them better.

I baked over 10 kinds of cookies and 4 kinds of candy. We used some of the cookies at the soup kitchen and gave others to some neighbors. I had a great time since I really hadn’t baked since 2003 for the holidays. Debby came up for the Christmas weekend and Dad came over every day. This is the trek from the garage with all the cookies.


We had cinnamon rolls for Christmas breakfast.

Somehow Santa forgot the stockings as they were empty.




One of the quilt items I had been working on was for Deb. Here she is with the blocks I gave her for Christmas.

Maybe by her birthday I will be able to finish it. We played games and looked at old slides.

New Year’s Eve we spent playing Tic with Dad. The party at the home was canceled due to the flu outbreak. We didn't stay up to see the new year in but it seems to have arrived anyhow.
This is the first quilt I made from the squares that I cut out.

No comments: