Thursday, April 30, 2009

Myrtle Beach, South Carolina

Oooh, what a long 500 miles it was. But actually I did very well and we arrived at the timeshare with about 10 ¾ hours of travel time. We stayed at the Wyndham Ocean Blvd which is right on the beach in North Myrtle Beach. We were on the 11th floor in Tower 1. We had a two bedroom condo which we were glad of as they are rather small. We could see the ocean from our balcony.
It was cool and very windy most of the week. We took a couple of walks on the beach.

We worshipped two Sundays at First Baptist of North Myrtle Beach. It was different and nice to attend the same church two consecutive weeks.

We spent Monday going to 2 timeshare presentations. We did the Wyndham and then a Westgate one. We earned some dining out dollars and went to the Rioz Brazilian Steakhouse for an excellent and unusual dinner. They had a very large salad bar and then they served all of the meat from skewers which were brought to your table by servers whenever you turned your marker to green. There was beef, pork, chicken, lamb, sausage and pineapple and it was all delicious. They served special sides of mashed potatoes, cheese popovers, fried bananas and polenta sticks.

I did some scrapbooking and finished our Australia trip. We went to Socastee High School on Thursday night to see Beauty and the Beast. It was done very well and we enjoyed the opportunity to see young people using their talents. Of course if you saw the news we also had a forest fire (in the area). We noticed the smoke about 3 p.m. on Wednesday as we were walking on the beach. It was just rolling up into the air.
We drove through some heavy smoke as we went out to eat that night. There were about 20,000 acres burned and about 70 homes destroyed.
The fire stayed west of the inter-coastal waterway so did not really threaten the tourist area. There was just a lot of smoke in the air.

On Saturday we moved from the Wyndham to the Marriott Ocean Watch timeshare on the north end of Myrtle Beach. We have a beautiful view from the 10th floor and a very, very nice two bedroom condo. I did a little cooking and we have caught up on some computer work. We have been in the big hot tub a couple of times.
The weather has still been very sunny. It can be a little smoggy in the morning because the fire is contained but not out.

One of the resort activities was Iron Chef so we decided to participate in it. The secret ingredient was a bag of frozen Southern Style Biscuits. We had two hours to make something. I sent Bob to the store for apples and raisins and I made a type of caramel apple raisin nut filling.
Then I dipped the biscuits into butter and pressed them into the baking dish down into the filling.
It was interesting (we thought tasty) and we came in second. Actually it was just a fun thing to do.

We drove down to Murrell’s Inlet on Wednesday to check out a timeshare down there that we might want to stay in next year. There is a boat trip out to a lighthouse from Georgetown which is south of there. We thought it would be a nice place to stay. Since we are leaving for England the end of May we have been doing some research online. We have purchased a couple of maps and also a travel and sightseeing pass for London. We also went shopping at the Build-a-Bear and Akasha is now ready for football.


I am trying to do my exercises most of the days but my leg is really acting up. I have some what I call muscle spasms and cramps when I overdo. I can walk for a longer time now and am not reclining much during the day. God is good and we believe that it will fully be healed in a few months. Saturday we leave South Carolina and head north a short way to New Bern, North Carolina.

No comments: