Wednesday, January 26, 2011

November 2009

Yes, I know that this is over a year ago but I decided I still wanted to post what we did so I will try to finally get it up to date. I am making an effort to post at least one week each day. Enjoy!

We stayed in a Bluegreen timeshare Club La Pension in the French Quarter.

It was very small with a living room, walk through kitchen and bedroom and a balcony. It was cool most of the time and we had some rain. We took a cooking class at New Orleans School of Cooking and learned how to make gumbo and pralines.



The instructor cooked and then we got to eat what she made. We toured the World War II Museum. This is one of the best we have been to. We had been before but I didn’t get to see the Pacific part. Of course we had to eat beignets at CafĂ© du Monde and have oyster po boys from Mother’s Restaurant.

We learned about this restaurant from Donna and Chris when we were here a few years ago. We went to Chalmette Battlefield which is part of the Jean Lafitte National Park.
They were having a ground breaking ceremony to begin a new visitor center.


We drove east toward Florida and stopped at a rest area as we entered Mississippi. To our surprise there was a tour bus leaving in 5 minutes to go to the Stennis Space Center for a tour. We didn’t even realize that it was in the area. What an interesting tour. This was where the Saturn V was tested. We saw the test sights and then toured the exhibits in the visitor center.



The next stop was the Jefferson Davis home, Beauvoir, in Biloxi, Mississippi. It was damaged by Hurricane Katrina but had just reopened after refurbishing.


Many items were lost but the house was preserved. Then of course we stopped at the lighthouse in Biloxi.


Our next stay was a week at the Wyndham Majestic Sun in Destin, Florida. This week in Destin was very uneventful and we really didn’t do much except walk each day.

No comments: